[INDOLOGY] question about a Jaina practice

Tieken, H.J.H. H.J.H.Tieken at hum.leidenuniv.nl
Thu Oct 3 14:09:17 UTC 2019

Dear List members,

Jaina monks, or their followers, are often depicted sitting with a strap going around their bodies and legs. (a few years ago I saw this contraption in a posh interior decorating shop in Leiden as an alternative chair!) Could anyone tell me if this strap, or sitting supported by this strap, had a (Sanskrit, MIA or NIA) name. By the way, it is not a particular Jaina practice. If I remember well, the strap can also be seen on, for instance, the Borobudur.

Herman

Herman Tieken
Stationsweg 58
2515 BP Den Haag