[INDOLOGY] Jesuits on astrology/astrologers in India?

jmdelire jmdelire at ulb.ac.be
Fri Nov 15 11:34:42 UTC 2019

Dear Martin,

I have been working on a similar subject since some years and I intend
to write a book (not before 2 or 3 years). Unhappily, I am studying only
the French part of it, since many French Jesuits were good astronomers
and either observed the sky in India or got informed there about Indian
astronomy.
The best sources to begin with are :
Le P.Antoine Gaubil S.J., Correspondance de Pékin 1722-1759, publiée par
Renée Simon, Droz, Genève, 1970, and
The biographies of Jesuits by Sommervogel, which appeared in many
volumes. If you are interested by the French connection, I can give you
a list of names.
I also wrote an article on the European astronomers at the court of Jai
Singh II (they were Jesuits) in the Journal des Savants, 2013,
p.175-192.

Best,

Jean Michel