[INDOLOGY] Intro to mathematics in Skt

Jesse Knutson jknutson at hawaii.edu
Sun Nov 10 21:39:24 UTC 2019

Thanks so much Jean Michel. I'm a sukumāramati, horrible at math, otherwise
would have surely known your work. I hardly had a clue about the English-
language scholarship. I have huge respect for francophone Indology, where
some of e.g. the kāvya scholarship is without parallel, and agree that it
is very important for Indology to remain multilingual. I appreciate your
drawing my attention to your œuvre and promise to read it if I make any
progress in my reading on the topic. Merci mille fois, bhavadīyaḥ,J

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 12:29 AM jmdelire via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>
> It seems that you forgot to mention my name as an expert in Sanskrit
> mathematics, and also as an historian of mathematics.
> I wrote my thesis in 2002 about the Sulbasutras and published in 2016
> (Droz, Geneva) an edition-translation-explanation (in French) of the
> Baudhayana's and its commentary by Dvarakanatha. I am always amazed by
> the way the Anglo-Saxon world ignores the French publication, even if
> they cite my good friend François Patte, who also translates to French.
> I wrote some articles in English (in that direction at least, we make
> some efforts as you can read) and gave a lecture in Oxford some years
> ago, when I had the opportunity to work for the philosophical part of my
> thesis with Jim Benson. Prof Gombrich attended the conference. I am
> nowadays working on mathematics at the court of Jai Singh II, and I
> visit Jaipur very often for that purpose.
> Jesse, you can contact me if you need any special information, for I
> have probably the best library on Sanskrit mathematics in Belgium, which
> is of course nothing compared to the Indian Institute in Oxford, but who
> knows ?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jean Michel DELIRE,
> Maître-assistant en mathématiques et histoire des mathématiques - HE2B
> Defré
> Chargé du cours Science et civilisation de l'Inde - Textes sanskrits -
> IHEB (Université de Bruxelles)
> Membre du Centre National d'Histoire des Sciences (KBR, Bruxelles)
> Membre de la Société Asiatique (Paris)
>

> Le 27.10.2019 18:59, Jesse Knutson via INDOLOGY a écrit :
> > Thanks so much for this Alessandra.
> >
> > On Sat, Oct 26, 2019, 10:28 PM Alessandra Petrocchi
> > <a.petrocchi at cantab.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Dear Jesse,
> >> just to expand a bit the reading list: if your student or yourself
> >> would
> >> like to investigate this subject further, I also would recommend to
> >> look
> >> at the publications by the following scholars, who are experts in
> >> this
> >> field as well: Takao Hayashi, Agathe Keller, Takanori Kusuba,
> >> Clemency
> >> Montelle, Francois Patte,  and myself.
> >>
> >> Best wishes,
> >> Alessandra.
> >>
> >> Dr Alessandra Petrocchi
> >> Leverhulme Trust Early Career Research Fellow
> >> Faculty of Linguistics Philology and Phonetics
> >> University of Oxford

> >> background,
> >> you
> >> traditions?
> >>>

> >> --
> >> Dr Alessandra Petrocchi
> >> Leverhulme Trust Early Career Research Fellow
> >> Faculty of Linguistics Philology and Phonetics
> >> University of Oxford
> >

> > Links:
> > ------

Jesse Ross Knutson PhD
Associate Professor of Sanskrit Language and Literature
& Chair
Department of Indo-Pacific Languages and Literatures
University of Hawai'i, Mānoa
461 Spalding