[INDOLOGY] Intro to mathematics in Skt

jmdelire jmdelire at ulb.ac.be
Sun Nov 10 10:28:07 UTC 2019

Dear Friends,

It seems that you forgot to mention my name as an expert in Sanskrit
mathematics, and also as an historian of mathematics.
I wrote my thesis in 2002 about the Sulbasutras and published in 2016
(Droz, Geneva) an edition-translation-explanation (in French) of the
Baudhayana's and its commentary by Dvarakanatha. I am always amazed by
the way the Anglo-Saxon world ignores the French publication, even if
they cite my good friend François Patte, who also translates to French.
I wrote some articles in English (in that direction at least, we make
some efforts as you can read) and gave a lecture in Oxford some years
ago, when I had the opportunity to work for the philosophical part of my
thesis with Jim Benson. Prof Gombrich attended the conference. I am
nowadays working on mathematics at the court of Jai Singh II, and I
visit Jaipur very often for that purpose.
Jesse, you can contact me if you need any special information, for I
have probably the best library on Sanskrit mathematics in Belgium, which
is of course nothing compared to the Indian Institute in Oxford, but who
knows ?

Best regards,

Jean Michel DELIRE,
Maître-assistant en mathématiques et histoire des mathématiques - HE2B
Defré
Chargé du cours Science et civilisation de l'Inde - Textes sanskrits -
IHEB (Université de Bruxelles)
Membre du Centre National d'Histoire des Sciences (KBR, Bruxelles)
Membre de la Société Asiatique (Paris)