[INDOLOGY] Looking for two older (short) books on "Sadani"

John Peterson jpeterson at isfas.uni-kiel.de
Thu Nov 7 12:17:27 UTC 2019

Dear members,

Would any member of this list by any fortunate chance of fate perhaps be
in a library which contains either of the following two short grammars
of "Sadani" (known locally in Jharkhand as "Sadri" or "Nagpuri")?

[1] Whitley, E.H., S.P.G. 1896. _Notes on the Gánwárí Dialect of
Lohardaga, Chota Nagpur, assisted by A. Salkar_, 1895. Calcutta: 1896

[2] Floor, H. 1931. _Language Hand-Book/Sadani (The Patois of Chota
Nagpur)_. Calcutta: Tea District Labour Association. [Note that this
book may have "Tea District Labour Association" or "Anonymous" as its
author.]

Both books are mentioned in Jordan-Horstmann's 1969 grammar of this
language but my co-author and I (who have now otherwise finished our
grammar of this language and would like to send it off for publication)
have not been able to locate a copy of either. We are now hoping that a
smaller library which may not have all of its books in digitally
catalogued may be able to help us here.

Any help - whether as a scan, paper copy or loan of this book - would be
greatly appreciated!

Best,
John Peterson

--