[INDOLOGY] The Earliest English Translation of the Rigveda [Publication Announcement]

Walter Slaje walter.slaje at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 22:30:52 UTC 2019

Dear Professor Brodbeck,

Ludwig’s English translation was completed between ten and seventeen years
after his German translation of the Rigveda. During this time, the progress
achieved in Rigvedic studies was substantial, and this includes the
research carried out by Ludwig himself.

Thus, his English version is supposed to outdate his earlier German one of
course. Its posthumous publication is therefore predominantly though not
exclusively of “antiquarian” interest for the English speaking audience as
it makes Ludwig's historical pioneering achievement visible and verifiable.
It can now be consulted for the first time, which was not the case before
its publication.

In quite a number of respects, Ludwig’s translation may - and naturally
will - prove to be obsolete. However, an age of more than 100 years is not
a sufficient basis to earn accurate translations exacted with the precision
of 19th century philologists the overall predicate of being "hopelessly
outdated".

Everyone can now vet and form a judgement themselves. Frankly, I see no
reason why the publication of an important document in the field of the
history of Indological studies, the existence of which was overlooked until
this date, needs to be justified or even defended.

It is therefore that I politely suggest that whoever is further interested
in this matter kindly dedicate themselves to the edition – published at a
very moderate price given its volume -, in which the necessary information
can be found.

Warm regards,

Walter Slaje