[INDOLOGY] The Earliest English Translation of the Rigveda [Publication Announcement]

Dan Lusthaus prajnapti at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 18:50:41 UTC 2019

Dear Prof. Slaje,

I am well aware of the opinion held by Vedicists of Wilson’s pioneering effort, and, for the most part, I agree with it. But “scholarly” has many meanings, one of them being, for instance, taking native sources, even if limited sources, seriously — rather than imagining meanings with little basis. In that sense, Wilson’s effort, however, flawed, is still scholarly, and deserves to be acknowledged as the first serious effort to present the Ṛg Veda to an English-reading audience. Additionally, “first” is a chronological feature, not a matter of esteem. Cutting him out of the “lineage” strikes me as simply wrong.

I should have been more precise about the dating. The volumes of Wilson’s translation came out over many years, starting in 1850 and continued until posthumously complete (last volume, v.6, 1888). All six volumes are available on google books.

best wishes,
Dan Lusthaus