[INDOLOGY] Vopadeva's Place of Origin

Johannes Bronkhorst johannes.bronkhorst at unil.ch
Mon Nov 4 15:20:06 UTC 2019

To my knowledge, the first text that states in so many words that the Veda is eternal and not composed is Patañjali’s Mahābhāṣya (which uses the word nitya, but not apauruṣeya; it does however deny that the Veda has been made (kṛta)). Kātyāyana appears to agree with Patañjali. My paper “When and why did the Veda become eternal?” is scheduled to appear in the proceedings of the most recent Vedic workshop.

Johannes Bronkhorst