Re: [INDOLOGY] Depictions of yoga in kāvya

Rolf Heinrich Koch rolfheiner.koch at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 12:40:35 UTC 2019

An important Yoga-posture for western people is standing on one leg and
keep both arms up to the sky with the second leg in another upwards
position:

Sanskrit-sources like the MBh deliver the textual description where it
is called
ūrdhvabāhu ekapādene tapas

One example is the tapas of Bhagīratha who brought the Gangā down to the
earth by the power of his ūrdhvabāhu ekapādena tapas.

This story is depicted also in stone (I think, not sure, in
Mahabalipuram): There you can see Bhagīratha stays exactly in the same
manner like the follower of Yoga.

Also Arjuna used after the war this tapas to contact Indra.  This
episode I saw represented in a similar way in a temple of Southindia.

I had also several encounters in India with Sadhus engaged in this
"Yoga"-practice.

Best

Heiner

Rolf Heinrich Koch