[INDOLOGY] The alphabet found in the Lalitavistara

Martin Joachim Kümmel martin-joachim.kuemmel at uni-jena.de
Fri Nov 1 09:19:50 UTC 2019

Dear Madhav and colleagues,

in NW Indo-Aryan, old kṣ developed into a new phoneme, a retroflex affricate ṭṣh, and I have long been wondering if this might be one factor relevant for the special status of this akṣara. Although lack of l might also have been an originally NW feature, I am not sure this would still be relevant at the time, and for the other peculiarities, I don’t see how they might be explained as NW.

All the best,
Martin

Univ.-Prof. Dr. Martin Joachim Kümmel
Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, Philosophische Fakultät
Institut für Orientalistik, Indogermanistik, Ur-und Frühgeschichtliche Archäologie
Seminar für Indogermanistik
Zwätzengasse 12, D-07743 Jena, Germany
Tel. +49-(0)3641-9443-81 Fax -82 Sekretariat -80