[INDOLOGY] ṣ

Luis Gonzalez-Reimann reimann at berkeley.edu
Fri Nov 1 00:00:58 UTC 2019

Dear Madhav and Matthew,

For what it's worth, texts that describe the /cakras/ (tantras & /haṭha
yoga/) routinely add/kṣa/ after the /ha/. They are placed in the two
petals of the /āj̇ñā cakra/. Padoux discusses the addition of/kṣa/ on p.
156 of his book /Vāc/:

"...finally the compound phoneme/kṣa/, the addition of which is
sometimes justified on theoretical grounds because it logically fits in
a given metaphysical system; but the real reason of its being placed
there is difficult to ascertain, except perhaps as a means to have fifty
phonemes rather than forty-nine. Naturally, since each phoneme is a form
of energy, it is correlated with a deity. There are several texts giving
differing lists of these fifty divinized energies."

One could speculate that is was added in order to fill up all the petals
in the /cakras/, but that would imply that the number of petals in seven
/cakras/ was fixed before the addition of /kṣa/.

Padoux, André. 1992. /Vāc://The Concept of the Word in Selected Hindu
Tantras/. Translated by J. Gontier. Delhi: Sri Satguru Publications.
Originally published by SUNY.

The book is on SCRIBD:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/61589773/Vac-the-Concept-of-the-Word-in-Selected-Hindu-Tantras-a-padoux-SUNY-1990

Regards,