[INDOLOGY] [Archiving Open Access publications] Re: question about a soliciation from publisher MDPI

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 20:56:23 UTC 2019

Dear Jonathan,

As far as I understand, you are right, Jonathan.  Sean Gaffney's book (as a
PDF, I've just downloaded) contains the (C) assertion that you quote.  That
the author retains the copyright is good and proper.  All authors should
hold on to their copyright in all circumstances.   That stuff about "moral
right" etc. doesn't say anything about whether the book is OA or not.  All
OA books have a copyright-holder too.

But to make a book Open Access, the copyright-holder needs to issue a
formal license statement that says, more or less, "As copyright holder, I
give everyone permission to copy this publication."  Sean Gaffney's book
does not include such a statement on the (C) page (in fact the opposite,
stringent restrictions), and this means that on the evidence of the (C)
page, it is not OA.  People downloading it will rightly be in doubt about
whether they are breaching the author's rights.  None of the PDF or online
metadata that I see accompanying the book says that the author has issued
an OA license.

The copyright-holder's license statement doesn't need to give away *all*
rights.  Various degrees of OA license are listed at creativecommons.org,
an organization that has given a lot of thought to all this stuff.

To sum up: the author is the first *copyright*-holder and therefore retains
the right to control copying of their work.  The author, qua
copyright-holder, is the only person who may issue a *license* giving
people freedoms to do other things, like freely copying. Thus an OA
publication should make *two* things clear.  1. There is a
copyright-holder, 2. That person has issued an appropriate OA license.

Best,
Dominik

--
Professor Dominik Wujastyk <http://ualberta.academia.edu/DominikWujastyk>
,

Singhmar Chair in Classical Indian Society and Polity
,

Department of History and Classics <http://historyandclassics.ualberta.ca/>
,
University of Alberta, Canada