Re: [INDOLOGY] Hidden Mūrtis: The Sanskrit Students of Radcliffe College

Audrey Truschke audrey.truschke at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 18:13:24 UTC 2019

Dear List Members,

I would like to share that I have received an e-mail objecting to Prof.
Paturi's thank you. This objection - sent to myself, Prof. Paturi, and the
INDOLOGY governing committee - complains that such messages make the forum
"busy" and states "It is not necessary to inform the nearly 1000 other
members of the list that you are grateful to the author." I have been on
the INDOLOGY governing committee for several years, and I do not recall
having seen another similar objection for a single, short all-list response.

This is a chilling reminder of the bristling reactions engendered by
talking about  "inequalities of race and gender
<https://www.radcliffe.harvard.edu/schlesinger-library/blog/hidden-murtis-sanskrit-students-radcliffe-college?fbclid=IwAR30WgKVv_ACuTQMXxLB9v3G6aeHFbjtYfV8OkRDG4CappEcTe0CT_pxfuA>"
that continue to feature in our discipline. One hopes that we might all
take a long look in the mirror and begin to heed Anand Venkatkrishnan's
call for moving beyond the "occlusion and absence" that condition the field
of Indology.

Audrey Truschke
Assistant Professor
Department of History