[INDOLOGY] question about a soliciation from publisher MDPI

mbroo at abo.fi mbroo at abo.fi
Sat Mar 23 13:51:44 UTC 2019

Dear Arlo and others,

I have reviewed an article for Religions and know some colleagues who
have published in it. While this journal is not to be confused with
the more well-established Religion, it has come out for almost ten
years by now and follows standard rules for academic publishing. It
has a 1 on the Finnish scale of academic publications (0-3) which is
not great but standard for such a newly established journal. I think
it ranks similarly in other countries.

Article processing charges (AFC) are getting more and more common, as
a side-effect of the move towards open access publishing. As
publishers less and less can live on income from readers, getting the
money from authors (=their institutions) is a natural alternative.
This is by no means unproblematic, as it makes it difficult for
scholars unaffiliated with rich (=Western) institutions to publish,
etc. Nevertheless, I am editing a (gold standard) open access journal
myself (Temenos) so I know that even when journals are not geared
towards profit and editors get no money for their work, it still costs
to bring out high-quality journals, even when they are online only. In
our case, we have external funding, but not all journals are so
fortunate.

Sincerely yours,
Måns

--