Re: [INDOLOGY] foot-mark in Kharoṣṭhī

Richard G. Salomon rsalomon at uw.edu
Wed Mar 6 21:12:32 UTC 2019

Hi Herman,

Re foot-marks in Kharosthi: long story and complicated: the place to start
is pp. 21-28 of Andrew Glass's MA thesis (University of Washington, 2000) "A
Preliminary Study of Kharoṣṭhī Manuscript Paleography”) which I think is
available on line; and then his 2007 volume, *Four Gāndhārī Saṃyuktāgama
Sūtras: Senior Kharoṣṭhī Fragment 5 (*Gandhāran Buddhist Texts, Volume 4.
Seattle: University of Washington Press), pp. 88-91.

Basically, *true* footmarks are phonetically insignificant, incidental
artifacts of the mechanics of handwriting (like serifs, Devanagari
top-line, etc.). As Glass shows, they are very common and quite varied (as
many as ten varieties) in manuscript Kharosthi. Such incidental marks are
often (in various writing systems including Kharosthi) adopted into
epigraphic writing.

This whole issue is however complicated because the footmarks can sometimes
be hard to distinguish from, on the one hand, the anusvara sign, and on the
other, the diacritical sign at the base of various consonants, which
*does *indicate
a variant (fricative?) pronunciation in intervocalic position; see Glass
2007: 107 ff., and related discussions in other volumes of the Gandhāran
Buddhist Texts series).

Rich Salomon