[INDOLOGY] thanks

Walter Slaje slaje at kabelmail.de
Tue Mar 5 23:53:37 UTC 2019

*Śānta *and* vairāgya* are two fundamental ideas at the basis of the
*Rājataraṅgiṇī* literary genre of history writing in Kashmir. The various
*Rājataraṅgiṇī*s aim at generating emotional responses on the part of the
reader with a view to prompting liberating effects. They are all the more
effective if what is expressed there in a poetically manner corresponds to
historical facts (*yathābhūtam*): Insight into the truth about the human
condition must ultimately lead to *vairāgya*. These concepts of historical
truth poetry are based on Kashmiri theories of literature (*rasa, dhvani*).

See:

Walter Slaje, ‘In the Guise of Poetry’ – Kalhaṇa Reconsidered. In:
Śāstrārambha. Inquiries into the Preamble in Sanskrit. Edited by Walter
Slaje. Preface by Edwin Gerow. [AKM. LXII]. Wiesbaden 2008: 207–244.

Lawrence McCrea, Śāntarasa in the Rājataraṅgiṇī: History, epic and moral
decay. *The Indian Economic and Social History Review* 50, 2 (2013):
179–199.

Luther Obrock, History at the end of history: Śrīvara’s Jainataraṅgiṇī. *The
Indian Economic and Social History Review* 50, 2 (2013): 221–236.

The liberating literary method as such was applied already by Aśvaghoṣa:

Roland Steiner, Truth under the Guise of Poetry. Aśvaghoṣa’s “Life of the
Buddha”. In: Biography in the Buddhist Traditions. Ed. by Linda Covill,
Ulrike Roesler, Sarah Shaw. Boston 2010: 89–121.

Another Kashmiri work of major importance which aims at triggering
liberating effects through mere insight is the Mokṣopāya (alias
Yogavāsiṣṭha), as the title of its first Prakaraṇa (“*Vairāgya-Prakaraṇa*”)
unambiguously indicates:

Text:

https://www.harrassowitz-verlag.de/Mok%E1%B9%A3op%C4%81ya_-_Textedition_Teil_1._Das_erste_und_zweite_Buch:_Vairagyaprakarana_Mumuksuvyavaharaprakarana/titel_3591.ahtml

and translation:

https://www.harrassowitz-verlag.de/Mok%E1%B9%A3op%C4%81ya_-_%C3%9Cbersetzung_Teil_1_Das_Erste_und_Zweite_Buch:_Das_Buch_%C3%BCber_die_Leidenschaftslosigkeit_Das_Buch_%C3%BCber_das_Verhalten_der_Befreiungssucher/titel_340.ahtml

Kind regards,

WS

Am Mi., 6. März 2019 um 07:23 Uhr schrieb David and Nancy Reigle via
INDOLOGY <indology at list.indology.info>:

> Dear Jesse,
>
> Could you make some of these references public here on the list? I, too,
> am interested in vairāgya. Thanks!
>
> Best regards,
>
> David Reigle
> Colorado, U.S.A.
>
> On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 1:48 PM Jesse Knutson via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
>> Thanks to Andrew Nicholson, Matthew Dasti, Kevin McGrath, and Phillip
>> Mass for a wealth of resources.  My student also thanks you. Best,J

-----------------------------
Univ.-Prof. Dr. Walter Slaje
Hermann-Löns-Str. 1
D-99425 Weimar
Deutschland

Ego ex animi mei sententia spondeo ac polliceor
studia humanitatis impigro labore culturum et provecturum
non sordidi lucri causa nec ad vanam captandam gloriam,
sed quo magis veritas propagetur et lux eius, qua salus
humani generis continetur, clarius effulgeat.
Vindobonae, die XXI. mensis Novembris MCMLXXXIII.