[INDOLOGY] AAIS

Patricia Sauthoff sauthoff at ualberta.ca
Thu Jun 27 20:42:47 UTC 2019

Dear all,

Rather than continue this conversation with politically charged attacks
like " self-styled SJW
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_justice_warrior>s" I would like to
bring to your attention that one of the founding board members of AAIS has
deep connections to the efforts to shut down academic freedom and
integrity.

One of the founding board members of AAIS is also on the board of Nalanda
University in Bihar, India. I taught at Nalanda several years ago, helping
to found the School of Buddhist Studies, Philosophy, and Comparative
Religion. There I taught several courses -- Sanskrit, courses on Religious
Studies theories and methods -- most importantly, The History and Politics
of Yoga. After my contract was not renewed and I was given no reason, I had
to argue with the university about my final pay (which I have never
received). In the course of that fight I contacted every member of the
Nalanda board. Only one ever responded. Several months after I was supposed
to receive my final pay (for July 2017) I woke up to an email from a
journalist asking me if I had any response to Ram Madhav's tweet
<https://twitter.com/rammadhavbjp/status/906363607541092357?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E906363607541092357&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fscroll.in%2Farticle%2F850780%2Fwhy-was-bjp-s-ram-madhav-stunned-to-hear-that-nalanda-had-politics-of-yoga-taught-by-a-foreigner>
about my course. (You can see the many awful things that were said about me
below, what you cannot see are the private messages I received threatening
rape and death if I ever returned to India). You can read more about this
incident here
<https://scroll.in/article/850780/why-was-bjp-s-ram-madhav-stunned-to-hear-that-nalanda-had-politics-of-yoga-taught-by-a-foreigner>
and
here
<https://www.telegraphindia.com/india/nalanda-threat-to-ex-teacher/cid/1497375>
.

In that second link you will see that I was ordered to apologize for
speaking up for myself and issued a veiled threat of "appropriate action"
if I continued to speak about this issue. I again wrote to many Nalanda
board members, including one of the founding board members of AAIS. Again,
I received no response. I have invited that same board member to my talks
at several conferences, they have not come to my talks or responded in any
way.

I will also note that this board member joined the Nalanda board after an
RSS-linked administration was put into place. That board member certainly
did not speak up for academic integrity at that or any other point. I am
offended that an organization would publish a conference listing on this
list of international scholars when one of its own board members remained
silent (and in my mind complicit) with these threats.

Nalanda has now lost nearly all its foreign faculty (and students from my
understanding). This is, of course, what the administration wanted. I am
not surprised by their actions but I am disheartened that not a single
member of their board, full of esteemed academics, did not at least speak
out against the violent threats made toward me. I am angry that not one of
them spoke up for academic freedom.

There is your clear link between AAIS and Hindutva.
Best,

Patricia Sauthoff

Patricia Sauthoff
Postdoctoral Fellow