Re: [INDOLOGY] A question about writing निर्ॠति or निरृति in Devanagari

Arlo Griffiths arlogriffiths at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 22 06:35:11 UTC 2019

Dear Krishnaprasad,

Having observed precisely the same phenomenon in all manuscripts (written in Oriya script) we collated for our edition of Śrīdhara's Vihāhādikarmapañjikā, Dr. Shilpa Sumant and myself decided to edit with the spelling निरृति. See for example line 9 on the attached extract from p. 33 of our book published last year. At least in Orissa, where our text was composed, the explanation must be connected with the fact that the word would be pronounced nirruti, in other words (the Oriya equivalent of) रृ is perceived as equivalent to र्रु. I would guess a similar explanation will apply in the sources you are looking at.

ଇତି ଆପଣଙ୍କର

Arlo Griffiths