Re: [INDOLOGY] The Origin of Geometry in India: A Study in the Śulbasūtras by Ramakrishna Bhattachar

jmdelire jmdelire at ulb.ac.be
Tue Jun 4 07:31:34 UTC 2019

Dear members of the list,

I take the opportunity of the announcement below to remind you that my
book on the Baudhayana Sulbasutra, published by Droz, Geneva, 2016, also
contains a very detailed chapter on the beginning of mathematics in
India. Its title is Les mathématiques de l'autel védique - Le Baudhayana
Sulbasutra et son commentaire Sulbadipika (see
https://www.droz.org/fr/6416-9782600013826.html). It is not mentionned
in the below described book, probably because, written in French, it
escaped the attention of the only-English reading scholars. Unhappily,
and despite a very good review in English (see the attached file), I
couldn't find yet a not too expensive way of translating it into
English.
I also remind the members of the list that I am a mathematician (also
teaching the history of mathematics) trained in Sanskrit, especially
with Pierre-Sylvain Filliozat, who signed the Preface of the book, with
a PhD thesis devoted to Indian mathematics.

Best regards,

Dr J.M.Delire,
Lecturer on Science and civilisation of India and on History of
mathematics at the University of Brussels
Professor of Mathematics at the Haute ecole de Bruxelles-Brabant