[INDOLOGY] grammar question

Arlo Griffiths arlogriffiths at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 27 23:26:35 UTC 2019

Dear Dr. Paturi,

On ekānnaviṁśati = nineteen, see Pāṇini, Aṣṭādhyāyī, 6.3.76 (ekādiś caikasya cāduk).

Dear Dr. Patte,

I don't understand your passage, but rather doubt that it can be explained in the light of how the word ekānnaviṁśati is formed. Since the proper ablative of eka is ekasmāt, I don't think ekānnaviṁśati is to be analyzed in the way you imagine. (Alas I don't understand the commentaries on Aṣṭ. 6.3.76 well enough to be able to to tell how the word ekānnaviṁśati is traditionally explained.)

Best wishes,

Arlo Griffiths