[INDOLOGY] Verse Identification (Purana?)

Andrew Nicholson andrew.nicholson at stonybrook.edu
Fri Jan 18 22:33:52 UTC 2019

Thanks to all who responded to my question, on and off list, with such
alacrity.

It is a plausible hypothesis that Madhva created the verse and it was later
cited as smṛti by Baladeva in his commentary on BS 2.1.35. In the 20th
century it was erroneously attributed by some scholars (beginning with S.C.
Vasu in 1912?) to the Bhaviṣya Purāṇa.

With best wishes,
Andrew

Andrew J. Nicholson, Ph.D.
Associate Professor (on leave 2018-2019)
Asian & Asian American Studies
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-5343  USA
(631) 632-4030

Visiting Associate Professor and Stewart Fellow (2018-2019)
1879 Hall, Room 232
Department of Religion
Princeton University
Princeton, NJ 08544  USA