[INDOLOGY] Verse Identification (Purana?)

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Fri Jan 18 17:49:48 UTC 2019

Dear Andrew,

     Not this verse, but the general doctrine that Īśvara's decisions are
dependent upon the karman of a person, and that karman is anādi is found in
the Bhāṣya of Śaṅkara on the Brahmasūtra (2.1.34): वैषम्यनैर्घृण्ये न,
सापेक्षत्वात्.  God cannot be accused of being uneven and cruel, because
his decisions are guided by the karman of a person.  Best wishes,

Madhav

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus
Sanskrit and Linguistics