[INDOLOGY] Correction and updates of Nirnay Sagar Fonts

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Thu Feb 21 14:10:24 UTC 2019

Dear Krishnaprasad,

     As a Pāṇinian, I would suggest that you look at the Nirnaya Sagar
Pothi print of the Aṣṭādhyāyī for Sanskrit conjuncts.  So many conjuncts
that occur in the Aṣṭādhyāyī do not occur anywhere else, and yet we must be
able to represent those in a serious Sanskrit font.  The other issue that
occurs to me is the ability to combine accent marks and candrabindu for
nasality.  The other complicated representation of Devanagari occurs in the
writing of Śukla Yajurveda, where numerous conjuncts occur that are
normally not seen elsewhere.  Again the Nirnaya Sagara pothi prints are
very useful in this regard.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus
Sanskrit and Linguistics