[INDOLOGY] 'catching the ocean in a cow's hoofprint'

Lubomír Ondračka ondracka at ff.cuni.cz
Mon Dec 23 18:46:14 UTC 2019

Victor D'Avella in his PhD thesis (Creating the Perfect Language: Sanskrit Grammarians, Poetry, and the Exegetical Tradition) says (p. 355):

I recall a verse that H. V. Nagaraja Rao once recited to me and which I have since
located in the prefatory verses of Devabodha’s Jñānadīpikā [note 17: Many thanks to Harunaga Isaacson and Whitney Cox, who independently pointed out this reference to me.] and Kṛṣṇa Śeṣa Prakāśa:

yāny ujjahāra māhendrād vyāso vyākaraṇārṇavāt |
tāni kiṃ śabdaratnāni santi pāṇinigoṣpade || (Jñānapradīpikā, p. 2) [note 18: PrKPra vol. III p. 6.14 with the variant maheśād for mahendrād.]

“Are the gems of speech, which Vyāsa has retrieved out of the ocean of grammar
from great Indra, to be found in Pāṇini’s puddle?”

-----
Jñānadīpikā of Devabodha: Śrīdevabodhakṛtamahābhāratatātpāryaṭīkā jñānadīpikā mahābhārate
ādiparve. Commentary by Devabodha on the Ādipārvan of the Mahābhārata. Ed. R. .N. Dandekar.
Poona: Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute, 1941.

PrKPra =
Prakriyākaumudī by Śrīrāmacandrācārya with the Commentary
Prakāśa by Śrīkṛṣṇa. Ed. Muralīdhara Miśra. 3 Vols. Sarasvatībhavana-Granthamālā Vol. 111.
Varanasi: Sampurnanand Sanskrit University, 2000.

LO