[INDOLOGY] Skt./Pkt. prose word order

Christian Ferstl christian.ferstl at univie.ac.at
Mon Aug 26 12:27:38 UTC 2019

Dear Sanskrit-Mahopadhyayas,

thanks a lot for your references! What Coulson writes on word order in
his Sanskrit Introduction (thanks to Harry Spier for this reference!)
boils down my problem:

   „One might suggest that its role is sometimes analogous to that of
stress and intonation in spoken English, but a detailed investigation of
this would depend upon more adequate accounts both of Sanskrit word
order and of the role of stress/intonation patterns in English than at
present exist.“

That was exactly the reason for my query. And I’m happy to see that the
literature suggested on the topic is more than I would have expected.
The studies by Aklujkar (1996), Apte (1885), Gillon (1995 and 1996),
Thite (1984), and Thommen (1903) seem especially promising. It will take
some time to go through them in detail ..

Thanks again,
Christian Ferstl