[INDOLOGY] Book announcement: The History of the Arthaśāstra

Mark McClish mark.mcclish at northwestern.edu
Mon Aug 19 18:43:18 UTC 2019

Dear Colleagues,

I am pleased to announce the publication of my new book on the compositional history of the Arthaśāstra and its philosophy of governance:

Mark McClish. The History of the Arthaśāstra: Sovereignty and Sacred Law in Ancient India (Cambridge University Press, 2019), 306 pages.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/history-of-the-arthasastra/051E3A722C5339D78EC9B57897827BCD#fndtn-information<https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/history-of-the-arthasastra/051E3A722C5339D78EC9B57897827BCD#fndtn-contents>

Table of Contents:
1. Introduction
2. Arthaśāstra Historiography
3. The Resegmentation of the Arthaśāstra
4. Citation and Attribution
5. The Deep Structure of the Text
6. The History of the Arthaśāstra
7. The Politics of the Daṇḍanīti
8. Varṇadharma in the Arthaśāstra
9. Statecraft, Law, and Religion in Ancient India

All best,
Mark