[INDOLOGY] Doom and dharma

Matthew Scarborough matthew.scarborough at cantab.net
Mon Aug 19 02:34:17 UTC 2019

Dear colleagues,

I would refer you to the most recent etymological handbooks:

Mayrhofer's _Etymologisches Wörterbuch des Altindoarischen_, Vol. I
(Heidelberg, 1992) pp. 778-780 derives Vedic _dhárman-_ 'Stütze, fester
Halt, feststehende Ordnung, Gesetz' and derivatives as nominal
derivatives to Vedic √dhar- 'halten, festhalten' and ultimately to PIE
*dʰer- 'make firm, fix' (cf. Rix et al. _Lexikon der indogermanischen
Verben_ 2e pp.145-146 for further cognates).

As for Proto-Germanic *dōma- 'verdict, evaluation' on the other hand, it
is typically derived from PIE *dʰoh₁-mo-, a derivative of PIE *dʰeh₁-
'to put, place', cf. Orel, _A Handbook of Germanic Etymology_ (Leiden,
2003) p.73, Kroonen, _Etymological Dictionary of Proto-Germanic_
(Leiden, 2013) p.98, and, e.g., Lehmann, _A Gothic Etymological
Dictionary_ (Leiden, 1986) p.93.

As such, the similarity between Vedic _dhárman- _and English _doom_ is a
chance resemblance with no common etymology linking the two together,
not even as a root etymology.

I hope you find this email is helpful.

Kind regards,

Matthew Scarborough