[INDOLOGY] Doom and dharma

Dan Lusthaus prajnapti at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 21:16:44 UTC 2019

Dear Simon,

And on the Indo-european dhē, check https://academiaprisca.org/indoeuropean.html <https://academiaprisca.org/indoeuropean.html>

Root / lemma: dhē-2

English meaning: to put, place

German meaning: `setzen, stellen, legen'

Material: Old Indian dádhāti, av. daδāiti `he places', Old pers. Impf. Sg. adadā `he has installed', Old Indian Aor.á-dhā-m `I placed', Med. 3. Sg. á-dhita (= gr. ἔθετο) ; to-participle Old Indian hitáḫḥ (-dhitáḫḥ in ved. compounds) `set, settled' (= lat. con-ditus, ab-ditus, crēditus, probably also gr. θετός `sedate, calm, settled, placed, set; having position; taken as one's child, adopted'), with full grade av. Old pers. dāta- (= lit. dė́tas `sedate, calm, settled', Old Prussian sen-ditans Akk. Pl. f. `folded', also gr. θητόν βωμόν Hes., eig. `set raised platform, placed stand'); Inf. Old Indian dhā́-tum (= lit. dė́tų Supin., Old Church Slavic dětь `to place' : lat. [late] conditus, -ūs m. `pickled, preserved; of corpses, embalmed; in gen., seasoned, savory', Supin. -um, -ū, compare also Old Indian dhā́tu-ḥ), m. `component, set', av. vīδātu- n. `grounds, rationale, steady acquiescence'); i̯o-present Old Indian dhāyatē `places for oneself' (= lett. dêju, dêt `place, lay eggs', dẽju dẽt `solder together', Old Church Slavic dějǫ `lay, place', ačech. děju `make'); Perf. Old Indian dadhā́u, dadhimá, av. 3. Sg. daδa (: gr. τέθεμαι, lat. -didī, osk. prú-ffed, ahd. teta etc).

Arm. ed Aor. `he placed' (= Old Indian á-dhāt; 1. Sg. edi, 2. Sg. edir), present dnem `I place'(*dinem, idg. *dhēḫno-, compare russ. dĕ́nu `sit, put, lay, place', skr. djènēm `do, put, lay');

Maybe nasalized alb. geg. me ndenj`to sit, while, stay', ndej `hang lose, place'

phryg. εδαες `has placed' (*e-dhǝ-es-tö rather = hitt. da-a-iš);

gr. τίθημι `put' (Aor. ἔθηκα - see under -, ἔθεμεν, ἔθετο, Fut. θήσω, participle θετός);

messap. hi-pa-of `has placed' (*ĝhi-po-dhēs-t, J. B. Hofmann KZ. 63, 267);

lat. abdere `put away, remove, set aside, stow away', con-dere `to put together, make by joining, found, establish, build, settle' (in addition Cōnsus [*kom-d-to-] an ancient deity, god of secret plans), perdere `to make away with, destroy, ruin, squander, dissipate, throw away, waste, lose', crēdere `believe, trust' (see below *kered- `heart'); about the interference of dare with respective forms s. WH. I 362; Perf. condidī etc, osk. prú-ffed `has placed' (*-fefed).

Note:

Common italic.-lat. d- > f- shift.

With einer k-extension lat. faciō, -ere, fecī (: ἔθηκα), factum `to make, form, do, perform; of feelings and circumstances, to cause, bring about', osk. fakiiad, umbr. fac̣ia `he/she makes, constructs, fashions, frames, builds, produces, composes', fakurent Fut. II [subjunctive] `they will have made, constructed, fashioned, framed, erected, produced, composed', praen. (passionate inscription) FheFhaked `he/she has made, constructed, fashioned, framed, erected, produced, composed', osk. fefacit Konj. Perf. `let he/she have made, constructed, fashioned, framed, erected, produced, composed', fefacust Fut. II `he/she will have made, constructed, fashioned, framed, erected, produced, composed';

with *fēk- umbr. feitu, fetu [Imperative]`he/she will have made, constructed, fashioned, framed, erected, produced, composed':

facilis `(feasible) easy to do; easy to manage, convenient, favorable', umbr. fac̣efele ds.; faciēs `shape, form, figure, outward appearance; esp. face, countenance. Transf., character, nature; seeming, pretence', facinus, ponti-fex, arti-fex beneḫficus under likewise; to meaning of interficiō `to put out of the way, destroy, bring to naught, slay, kill' (`*allow to disappear') compare Old Indian antarḫhitaḫḥ `vanished'.

The same k-extension besides in gr. ἔθηκα also in θήκη `receptacle', Old Indian dhā-ká-ḥ `container' and phryg. αδ-δακετ `afflicts, causes death', Med. αδ-δακετορ; ven. vhaχsϑo `he/she makes, constructs, fashions, frames, builds, erects, produces, composes' (*fakḫsḫto, the f probably from Ital.); hitt. dak-ki-eš-zi (dakkeszi) `makes, places down' (: lat. facessō), dak-šu-ul (daksul) `friendly' (: alat. facul); perhaps toch. A tākā `I was, became', B takāwā ds. (different Pedersen Toch. 194);

gall. dede `he/she has placed'; compare lat. con-, ab-, crē-didī, ahd. teta `I made, did'; air. -tarti `gives, yields' (*to-ro-ad-dīt from *dhēḫt), Perf. do-rat (*to-ro-ad-dat from *dhǝ-t), Thurneysen Gr. 35;

ahd. tōm, tuom, as. tōn, ags. dōm `do', Inf. ahd. tuon, as. ags. dōn (*dhōḫm) `do', preterit ahd. teta `I made, did' (2. Sg. tāti, Pl. tātuḫm; reshaped after the type of got. sētum), as. deda (2. Sg. dedōs, 3. Pl. dādun, dedun), ags. dyde < dudi (see above to Old Indian dadhā́u); particle Perf. Pass. ahd. giḫtān, ags. dōn `done' from *dhē-no- = Old Church Slavic o-děnъ `wrapped, dressed';

in the ending of reduced Pröter. (got. salbō-dēdun etc) one tries to seek mostly the root dhē-, whereas in got. kunÞa `granted', must contain the idg. -t-, to accept an other formation. compare Hirt, Idg. Gr. IV, 99, Sverdrup NTS. 2, 55 ff., Marstrander, NTS. 4, 424 f., Specht KZ. 62, 69 ff., Kretschmer Sbb. Wien, 225. Bd., 2. Abh., 6 f.

lit. dė́ti `lay, place, put', present 2. Pl. old deste (*dhe-dh-te), Sg. demì, desie-s, dest(i) (compare Būga Kalba ir s. 158, 213), neologism dedù; lett. dêt (see above);

Old Church Slavic děti `lay, place' (also `say'), present deždǫ (*dedi̯ō) and dějǫ (see above); dějǫ, dějati `lay, place, do'; -va-iterative Old Church Slavic o-děvati `(to put), dress', russ. děvátь `set down, do, place';

in addition probably lit. dėviù, dėvė́ti `wear a dress'; a formant u̯ also in gr. *θοFακος and (assim.) *θαFακος, compare θοάζω `sit, put', ion. θῶκος (hom. θόωκος written for θό[F]ακος) `seat', θάβακον θᾶκον ἤ θρόνον Hes., att. also θᾶκος ds., hom. θαάσσω `sit', att. poet. θά̄σσω ds. (see to gr. group Bechtel Lexil. 161 f., Boisacq 335); compare also thrak. -dava `settling, settlement' from *dhēu̯ā or *dhǝu̯ā; probably reshuffling after the concurrent *dō-: *dou- `bestow, give';

Note:

The suffix -dava `settling, settlement' frequently scattered over the thrak. territory and city names is absent in illyr. toponyms, hence illyr.-alb. and trak. were two different people.

hitt. daḫaḫi (dāi) `setzt, legt', 1. Sg. te-eḫ-ḫi (tehhi), 3. Pl. tiḫanḫzi (Pedersen Hitt. 91, 112 f., 166), preterit 3. Sg. da-a-iš; perhaps also dak-ki-eš-zi (see above);

toch. A tā-, tös-, tas-, B tes- `lay, place' (*dhēḫs- Pedersen Toch. 186 f.);

lyk. ta- `lay, place' (Pedersen. Lyk. and Hitt. 30 f.).

Root nouns (in compositions): e.g. Old Indian vayō-dhā́-ḥ `imparting vitality', saṁ-dhā́ f. `pact, agreement, promise' (: lit. arklìḫdė `stable'), saṁ-dh-á-m `association' (: lit. sam-das), ratna-dh-á-ḥ `imparting treasure', niḫdhḫíḫḥ m. `container, treasure, tribute', sam-dh-í-ḥ m. `association, covenant, fusion', av. gao-δi- `milk container'; lit. samdas `rent, rental', iñdas `vessel', nuodaĩ `poison', (old) núodžia `debt, blame, offense', pãdis `the hen lays an egg';

Old Prussian umnode `bakehouse', lit. pelùdė, lett. pelude `chaff container', Old Church Slavic obь-do n. `θησαυρός', sǫ-dъ `κρίσις, κρῖμα'; compare Berneker 193 ff., Trautmann 47 f.; if so also aisl. oddr, ags. ord, ahd. ort `cusp, peak' as *ud-dho-s `pointed up'ö

nominal formation:

Old Indian dhā́tar- m. `instigator, founder', dhātár- `creator, god' (compare also Old Church Slavic dětelь `perpetrator'), gr. θετήρ, lat. con-ditor `a founder; hence, in gen., contriver, composer, author';

compare *dhǝ-tlo- in air. dāl, acymr. datl, ncymr. dadl, abret. dadl `congregation, meeting', nbret. dael `contest, quarrel' (compare to meaning phryg. δουμος);

*dhǝ-ti- in Old Indian -dhiti-ḥ f. `stead', dēvá-hiti-ḥ `God's statute', gr. θέσις f. `statute, order', lat. con-diti-ō f. `an agreement, stipulation, condition, compact, proposition, terms, demand'; *dhē-ti-s in av. ni-δāiti- f. `laying down, putting away, hiding', got. gadēds `deed, position, place', aisl. dāð `skillfulness, deed, act', ags. dǣd, ahd. tāt `deed, act', lit. dė́tis `load, burden', Pl. dė́tys `lay of the chicken, the goose', Old Church Slavic blago-dětъ `Grace, blessing, gratitude'; *dhǝ-t- in thrak. PN Δάτος, alb. dhatë (*dhǝ-tā) `site'; *dhō-t- in av. dami-dā-t `the created creature', lat. sacer-dōs `a priest, priestess' (*sacro-dhōt-s).

Old Indian dhāna-m `container', el. συνθῆναι (ö) `pact, covenant', ahd. participle gitān, ags. dōn `done', Old Church Slavic o-děnъ `(completed), vested'; Old Indian dhánaḫm `sacrifice, offering, price in competition etc', nidhánam `layover, stay, inhabitation etc', gōdhana-m `cattle possession', av. gao-δana- n. `milk container'.

Old Indian dhā́man- n. `statute, law, dwelling, troop, multitude, crowd etc', av. dāman-, dąman- n. `site, creature', gr. ἀνά-θημα `anything devoted to evil, an accursed thing', ἐπί-θημα `something put on, a lid, cover; statue on a grave', θημών m. `heap'; εὐθήμων `probably keeping tidy, keeping in order'; thrak. plant name κοα-δάμα ποταμογείτων (Dioskor.) from *kʷa-dhēmn̥ `water settlement', PN Uscu-dama; secondary (after θέσις) gr. θέμα n. `that which is placed or laid down: money deposited, deposit; also, of grain; treasure, pile, of loaves, coffer, position, situation, nativity, common burial-place, common land, private burial-ground, something proposed as a prize, case proposed for discussion, theme of an argument, proposition, premise, arbitrary determination, primary (non-derivative) element or form, of the present tense, mode of reduction of an irregular syllogism', compare also Inf. θέμεναι; av. dāmi- f. `creation', Adj. (also fem.) `constituting, originating, creator, god'; gr. θέμις `that which is laid down or established by custom', Gen. originally θέμιστος `*allowed by the laws of God and men, righteous' as Goddess's name, then `right, law, custom', θέμεθλα Pl. `the foundation of a building; the innermost, core', θεμέλιοι λίθοι `the foundation-stones', hom. θεμείλια (ει metr. lengthening) `the foundations, lowest part, bottom, ground';

Alb. themel `the foundation of a building; the innermost, core' : hom. θεμείλια (ει metr. lengthening) `foundation, ground' [probably a loanword]; themën `heel, bottom of the foot'.

zero grade: θαμά `*massed; frequent, often', θαμινός `frequent, often, massed', hom. θαμέες, femin. θαμειαί Pl. `the piled up, tightly packed, crowded, close-set, thick' (from *θαμύς), θάμνος `thicket, shrubbery, bush, shrub'; in a *dhǝ-mo- `settlement, branch, dwelling' (compare θαιμός οἰκία, σπόρος, φυτεία Hes. [*dhǝmi̯o-], also Old Indian dhāman- `dwelling') or `heap, troop, multitude, crowd (the servant)' correlates one perhaps rightly also with lat. famulus `a servant, a male slave, attendant', familia `a household (of slaves), establishment', osk. famel `a servant, a male slave, attendant', famelo `a household (of slaves), establishment', umbr. fameřias `a household (of slaves), establishment';

Note:

Common lat. d- > f- shift

ō-grade gr. θωμός `heap, barn, haystack'; phryg. δουμος `an assembly, meeting, congress, a living together', lat. ab-dōmen `lower abdomen' as `intimate, hidden, secret part', compare ahd. intuoma `the chief internal organs of the body, significant organs' (would be lat. *indōmen), mnd. ingedōme, bayr. ingetum ds., got. dōms m. `judgement, fame' (dōmjan `adjudicate'; from dem Germ. russ. dúma `thought, notion, care; council meeting' etc, s. Berneker 237), ags. dōm `opinion, sense, mind, judgement, court', ahd. tuom `judgement, feat, deed, act, custom, state, status', lit. domė̃, domesỹs `attention, directing of the thought and will on something', also lit. dėmė̃ `spot upon which attention is directed' etc, dėmė́tis = domė́tis `wonder, care, concern, follow, go, take interest'.

Aisl. dǣll `easy to do, easy, without difficulty' (*dhē-li-s); compare urnord. dalidun `they did' (preterit of germ. *dēlian), lit. pa-dėlỹs `nest-egg (the hen lays an egg)', priedėlė̃, príedėlis `inclosure', abg. dĕlo n. `work', wherefore (see Berneker 195 f., Trautmann 48) Old Church Slavic dělja, děljьma m. Gen. `because of', lit. dė̃l, del̃, dė̃liai, lett. dẽl `with Gen. `because of, for the sake of'.

Maybe from Slavic ne `not' + Old Church Slavic: dělo `work, matter' = Bulgarian неделя (nedel'a), Serbian nedelja, Czech neděle, Polish niedziela `Sunday, holiday = no work' : Lithuanian: dėlioti `put down, away' : Albanian djelë `Sunday, holiday'.

An occasional formation compare still gr. τεθμός (Pind.), θεθμός (lak. etc), θεσμός (att.) `statute' after Thurneysen (KZ. 51, 57) to air. dedm, cymr. deddf (*dheḫdhḫmā) ds. (different Schwyzer Gr. Gr. I 49212); θωή, att. θωά: `punishment'. Very doubtful a s-extension would be attributed to aisl. des (*dasjō) `hay stick, hay rick' (Lw. from dem Air.ö), air. dais (*dasti-) `heap, hay rick', wherewith E. Lewy (KZ. 52, 310) compares rather osset. dasun `pile up, lump'.

Page(s): 235-239

Root / lemma: dhē-3, dhǝ-

English meaning: to disappear

German meaning: `hinschwinden'ö

Material: Lat. famēs f. `hunger', ad fatim, affatim `ad lassitudinem, zur Genöge', fatīgō `hetze ab, ermöde', fatīscō, -or `gehe auseinander; ermatte';

Note: common lat. d- > f- shift

air. ded- (present ruḫdeda, Fut. Plur. dedait, preterit con-ro-deda) `vanish, pass away, die away, disappear, dwindle, waste away, melt, decay'; ags. demm `damage' (*dhǝ-mi-s);

with -s anord. dāsi `idle' (germ. *dā̆s-), mhd. dǣsic `still, uncommunicative, stupid', changing through ablaut norw. dial. dase `flabby person', dön. dase `be decayed'; anord. dǣsa(sk) `swelter, decay', dasask `go bad, get worse'; mengl. dasen `stun' (engl. daze), dasewen `be dark'.

In all parts some dubious connections. About air. deḫd(a). compare Pedersen KG. II 504 f.(from Perf. *dhe-dou̯e from to got. diwans `perishable'ö s. dheu- `disappear', where also about air. dīth, arm. di). The germ. family finally reminds partly under *dheu̯es- `whisk' discussed from ndd. dösig and have been directed partly after this not only in the s-extension, but also in the meaning itself; at least, is to be reckoned on an old relationship from anord. dȫesask etc. and ir. -deda .

Page(s): 239

best,
Dan