[INDOLOGY] Easy unicode for ipad? (James Hartzell)

Malcolm Keating c.malcolm.keating at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 23:15:36 UTC 2019

Dear James,
While perhaps not "easy," here is what I have done:

I opened up the IAST
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Alphabet_of_Sanskrit_Transliteration>
in my browser and went to Settings > General > Keyboards and opened up the
Text Replacement dialog <https://support.apple.com/en-sg/HT202178>. It was
a bit tedious, but using copy-paste, I set up a system of shortcuts which
would allow me to type, for instance, .s and have the iPad replace it with
ṣ.

There are two important limitations to this approach, if you want to follow
it:

   1. You can't set up 'S and 's for Ś and ś, but instead you must have a
   distinct shortcut like '^s for Ś. This is because text replacement is not
   case-sensitive. If you want to be able to type capital letters, you'll need
   a different shortcut.
   2. You need to have spaces between the shortcuts. For instance, if I
   want to type "Bhaṭṭa" I can't just type "Bha.t.ta" if my shortcut is .t as
   the iPad only recognizes the shortcut when it is entered as "Bha .t .t a."
   This means that composition is slower.

I'm not sure why Apple has decided not to enable the ABC-Extended keyboard
on iPads, and so far I haven't encountered a third-party app that allows
IAST typing on the OS. If anyone has solved this problem, let me know!

Best,
Malcolm

Malcolm Keating
Yale-NUS College | Assistant Professor | Humanities Division (Philosophy) |
malcolm.keating at yale-nus.edu.sg

Office hours may be scheduled here: https://malcolmkeating.youcanbook.me
Academic website: http://www.malcolmkeating.com/