[INDOLOGY] Question

Walter Slaje slaje at kabelmail.de
Sat Aug 10 07:43:43 UTC 2019

It is perhaps worthy of note that Scheftelowitz in his critical Khila
edition of the RV has recorded a number of variant readings:

*śrī*° for *śrīr*

°*varcasyam* for °*varcasvam*

*āvidhāc chobhamānaṃ, āvidhāt pavamānaṃ* and *āyudhāt pavamānaṃ*

for *āvidhāc chubhamānam.*

(Die Apokryphen des Ṛgveda (*Khilāni*). Hrsg. und bearbeitet von J.
Scheftelowitz. [Indische Forschungen. 1]. Breslau 1906, p. 78.)

The variant reading *āyudhāt* is of particular interest here, as *āyudha*
(“weapon, implement”) seems to have been regarded as semantically closely
related to *āvidhāt*, if we derive the meaning of *āvidha* with Indian
grammarians from *ā*-√*vyadh* (cp. Āpte, and Patañjali below). The
emergence of the explanatory variant *āyudha* is most likely to be
explained from this background.

This, then, would rather result in the meaning of “eine Art Bohrer” (pw),
“an awl, a drill“ (MW) for *āvidha*.

*vyadhi* | *āvidhyanti tenāvidham* | *vyadhi *|| *hani *[...] ||
*yudhi* | *āyudhyante
tenāyudham* ||

(Patañjali’s Mbh, ed. Kielhorn, 3rd ed., Vol. II. Poona 1965, p. 150, 22ff)

The idea of extracting shining beauty (*śobha*°/*śubhamāna*) by "drilling"
with an instrument (similar to the well-known “churning”) is perhaps not
too far-fetched in the context of the Śrīsūkta.

Regards,

WS

Am Sa., 10. Aug. 2019 um 05:25 Uhr schrieb Hock, Hans Henrich via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info>:

> Here’s my take, Madhav; I hope it’s helpful
>
> The crux seems to be *āvidhāt*. While most dictionaries, following Monier
> Williams, give meanings like ‘drill’, the addenda to the Petersburg
> dictionary (at
> http://gretil.sub.uni-goettingen.de/gretil/6_sres/2_dict/schnzsw_u.htm)
> add the meaning *udreka*, i.e. ‘abundance’ etc.
>
> With this meaning the line can be interpreted as *varcasvam āyuṣyam
> ārogyam* (subject), *āvidhāt* (ablative) ‘on account of abundance’,
> *sobhamānam* (quasi-predicate participle) ‘shining, beautiful’, *mahīyate* ‘prospers,
> is exalted'
>
> All the best,
>
> Hans/Hans Henrich
>
> On 9 Aug2019, at 20:34, Madhav Deshpande via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
> Can someone explain to me the grammar of this line from the Śrīsūkta of
> the R̥gveda Khila?
>
> śrīḥ.varcasvam.āyuṣyam.ārogyam.āvidhāt.śobhamānam.mahīyate./ RvKh_2,6.24b
>
> Madhav M. Deshpande
> Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
> University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
> Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
>
> [Residence: Campbell, California, USA]

-----------------------------
Prof. Dr. Walter Slaje
Hermann-Löns-Str. 1
D-99425 Weimar
Deutschland

Ego ex animi mei sententia spondeo ac polliceor
studia humanitatis impigro labore culturum et provecturum
non sordidi lucri causa nec ad vanam captandam gloriam,
sed quo magis veritas propagetur et lux eius, qua salus
humani generis continetur, clarius effulgeat.
Vindobonae, die XXI. mensis Novembris MCMLXXXIII.