[INDOLOGY] Kad(h?)imarkara (Greg Bailey)

DIEGO LOUKOTA SANCLEMENTE diegoloukota at ucla.edu
Thu Apr 25 15:50:40 UTC 2019

  Dear all,

  I feel the entire search for a Sanskrit etymon be a red herring. 19th
century reports on the chimaerical *kadimakara*, as far as I have been able
to track, always make reference to the mythology of the Dieri/Diyari people
in the area of Lake Eyre, and therefore not in "Northern Australia." Peter
K. Austin's *Dictionary of Diyari *(
https://www.academia.edu/2491259/A_Dictionary_of_Diyari_South_Australia)
gives *markara* as the name of a fish, *Macquaria Ambigua*; the element *kati
*enters into the composition of the Diyari name for Lake Eyre, Katithandra.
So perhaps it is all a coincidence? I doubt that a Sanskrit *kandhi=**"ocean"
attested only in lexica could have spread in South East Asia, although, who
knows. If possible, though, I would ask Dr. Bailey to ask his friend to
share with us the list of Sanskrit lexical items in northern Australian
languages, I would love to know which those are.

  *namaskaromi,*

  Diego Loukota