[INDOLOGY] Kad(h?)imarkara

Lubomír Ondračka ondracka at ff.cuni.cz
Wed Apr 24 13:54:27 UTC 2019

Dear Greg,

Apte has also this word (kandhiḥ: The ocean -f. The neck ) and he adds an interesting definition: "kaṃ śiro jalaṃ vā dhīyate 'tra" (see also the previous entries: kandhaḥ: a cloud, and kandharaḥ: 1. the neck, 2. 'the holder of water', a cloud).

This definition apparently comes either from the Vācaspatyam (kaṃ śirojalaṃ vā dhīyate 'tra ādhāre ki; vol. 7, p. 1650, Calcutta ed.) or the Śabdakalpadruma (kaṃ śiraḥ samudrapakṣe jalaṃ dhriyate yatra; vol. 2, p. 21, Chaukhambha reprint).

Vācaspatyam and Śabdakalpadruma also quote their source: Rājanirghaṇṭaḥ (= Rājanighaṇṭu =  Abhidhānacūḍāmaṇi = Nighaṇṭurāja). But this is again a lexicon, so it does not help much. Anyway, it might be useful to look at it (it was published in 1896, ASS 33).

The Oriya Lexicon (vol. 2, p. 1303) has the word 'kandhi' and gives two meanings: 1. shoulder, 2. ocean, the sea. But I do not know whether it also takes this word from some Sanskrit lexicon, or whether it is indeed used in Oriya text(s).

Best,
Lubomir