[INDOLOGY] Joydeep Bagchee's membership to INDOLOGY

Shyam Ranganathan shyamr at yorku.ca
Fri Apr 19 17:31:45 UTC 2019

Hello all,

I'm not surprised that some members of this list conflate being
professional with being a philologist (see below), as though that's all
Indology could be. I'm not surprised as I've written on this for some
time, and there are cultural roots to this focus on language as the
source of knowledge about an area of study. That too I've written on.
And for the record, I'm not a philologist. I'm a philosopher.  I suppose
that some would think that I don't belong on this list. At least one
member publicly claimed as much when I asked a question not too long
ago.  That member was not removed from the list, though their attack on
me was ad hominem.

And one of the things that I teach, as a philosopher, are courses on
logic and critical thinking. Ad hominem arguments fall under the heading
of informal fallacies. An ad hominem argument is not an argument where
one criticizes a person as instantiating something generally
objectionable. An ad hominem argument is where you denigrate a person,
and thereby their credibility as a witness, or reasoner.

In philosophy we are routinely pressured to provide examples of a more
general point, and what Bagchee did was just that. Of course, you could
dispute the general point he was making, or the relevance of the
specific examples (the examples could be false or misrepresented), but
it seems to me that excluding him from the list simply because he
provided such examples for a general point he was making is strange. For
even if he didn't name names, we could have understood what examples
from professional Indology fall under the general point he was making.

I myself wouldn't have made the argument. But I have noticed for much
time that Indology is a hostile place for philosophy and the practices
of philosophers. Any time ethical questions come up on this list, they
are shot down as irrelevant to Indology. If Indology excludes
philosophy, then yes, talking about ethical questions would be out of
bounds---and talking about examples of a general ethical point would
also be a distraction from Indology. But if Indology excludes philosophy
it's strange that so much attention is given to the history of Indian
philosophy by Indologists and that they are routinely called upon to
referee peer reviewed articles on Indian philosophy.

Best wishes,

Shyam

Shyam Ranganathan

Department of Philosophy

York Center for Asian Research,

York University, Toronto

On 19/04/2019 6:53 a.m., Roland Steiner via INDOLOGY wrote:
> I absolutely second the postings of Arlo Griffith, Walter Slaje,
> Birgit Kellner and Andrew Ollett. We should read Joydeep Bagchee's
> message as professionals, namely as philologists, and thus cannot but
> regard his posting as full of inacceptable insinuations.
>
> With best regards,
>
> Roland Steimer

Shyam Ranganathan

Department of Philosophy

York Center for Asian Research
York University, Toronto

shyam-ranganathan.info <http://shyam-ranganathan.info/>

/Hinduism: A Contemporary Philosophical Investigation
<https://www.routledge.com/Hinduism-A-Contemporary-Philosophical-Investigation/Ranganathan/p/book/9781138909106>/

/The Bloomsbury Research Handbook of Indian Ethics
<http://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/the-bloomsbury-research-handbook-of-indian-ethics-9781472587770/>/

/Patañjali`s Yoga Sūtras
<http://penguin.co.in/book/classics/patanjalis-yoga-sutra/>/ (Translation,
Edition and Commentary)

/Translating Evaluative Discourse: The Semantics of Thick and Thin
Concepts <https://philpapers.org/rec/SHYTED>/

Full List, Publications <https://philpapers.org/profile/22035>