[INDOLOGY] Macro languages.

Dieter Gunkel dcgunkel at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 02:05:45 UTC 2019

Dear all,

There's a chance that the two of you are operating with different notions
of "macro-languages." Within Indo-Aryan, the languages that Alekandu Das
mentioned are (I think) ones that are spoken by a relatively large number
of people, which could be understood as rendering them as "macro." I don't
think, however, that they belong to a single linguistic subgroup within
Indo-Aryan. For example, Punjabi and Bihari belong to different linguistic
subgroups of Indo-Aryan.

For that reason, if looking for European parallels, one could point to
regional languages with a large number of speakers vs. smaller ones, e.g.
Spanish vs. Valencian. This is not to suggest that the situation is
completely parallel, just to try to sort out what is meant by "macro" — I
don't think it's defining characteristic is linguistic affiliation.

Best,

Dieter