[INDOLOGY] Colour symbolism in pre-modern Indic sources; concise overview of the senses

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 22:45:38 UTC 2019

I'm very grateful to everyone who has responded on the colour and senses
questions, and you've sent me a lot of materials that I can use.

To clarify my query about colours, I'm looking for secondary sources,
articles, chapters or books that synthesize and theorize these topics.
There are many Sanskrit primary sources that mention colours in all sorts
of interesting ways.  But hasn't someone at least done a PhD that brings
this together somehow and draws some broad conclusions?  Where is our
indological Huizinga-equivalent with a *Homo Colorans*?  Even just a wee
article?

On the senses, I've got James McHugh's wonderful work on smell
(including *Sandalwood
and Carrion* and - just what the students need - his Brill Encyc. article).

Best,
Dominik Wujastyk

--
Professor Dominik Wujastyk <http://ualberta.academia.edu/DominikWujastyk>
,

Singhmar Chair in Classical Indian Society and Polity
,

Department of History and Classics <http://historyandclassics.ualberta.ca/>
,
University of Alberta, Canada