[INDOLOGY] Saundarya Lahari

Matthew Kapstein mkapstei at uchicago.edu
Mon Apr 8 21:08:09 UTC 2019

Dear Nicole,

W. Norman Brown, in his monograph on this text in the HOS, does address this issue in his introduction. He does not think the ascription to Shankara to be plausible, but thinks it may have been written by a later figure within Shankara's tradition, and, like certain other works of perhaps similar origins, subsequently attributed to the founding master.

best,

Matthew

Matthew Kapstein
Directeur d'études,
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes

Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
The University of Chicago