[INDOLOGY] Sexism and Bias on INDOLOGY governing committee

Camillo Formigatti camillo.formigatti at bodleian.ox.ac.uk
Wed Apr 3 23:22:22 UTC 2019

Dear Jonathan,

I'm not dead wrong, nor am I right, for what it's worth, because being right was never my intention when I wrote my last message. I simply wanted to raise an issue and I managed to do it, judging from the replies I received.

Your reply does not take into account the fact that we are all human beings. In the haste of stressing the obvious, namely that it is a matter of power, you obliterate another obvious matter, namely that professors -- or shall we perhaps say all educators -- are not only entitled to have feelings towards their students, but also that more often than not this is something out of their control.

Moreover, I find very funny that you raise the issue of power relations, because in this discussion you are in a position of power, if compared to other younger colleagues, who don't have a permanent position (like myself) and probably don't feel at all comfortable in entering the lion's den. The reluctance of younger colleagues to express their opinions about matters of sexism and bias on the Indology committe as been already pointed out by Dr Sauthoff and rightly so, but I'd like to highlight again that in this list the power relation is obviously tilted in favour of professors and senior colleagues (who are overwhelmingly male, by the way). I'm writing all this because I would never dare to write on this list that you are dead wrong about anything, and for two simple reasons.

First of all, because I never start a discussion to prove that I'm right. I truly believe that a fruitful discussion is never about being right or wrong, but about gaining a better understanding of the issue. Moreover, I think that even the most outlandish ideas might be interesting and deserve to be at least seriously considered, instead of being dismissed immediately.

Secondly, in this discussion you are a powerful professor, while I'm only a younger colleague on a fixed-term position. The power relation here is clear. At some point in the near future you might be in the position of having the power to decide about the future of my own career and it's certainly not advisable for me to risk to upset you. Now, you are certainly thinking that you judge applicants only for the scholarly value, but this doesn't eliminate the issue of power, does it? Even the simple fact that I've addressed this issue directly and publicly on the list has already changed everybody's perception of me as a person and hence as a scholar, like it or not. It's not something positive or negative, it just is. Power relations are and always will be there in all aspects of life. So yes, I completely agree with you: it is always an issue of power, even when we discuss supposedly neutral scholarly topics.

As to the political correctness, believe me, I hesitated to write that last remark, precisely because of the implicit power relations you referred to.

A couple of other considerations. I am one of the very few men who didn't even doubt for a second about the misogyny in academia at large. I even went so far as to write immediately and without any reservation that I find the atmosphere in this mailing list misogynist. Also, I'd like to point out that Prof. Madhav Deshpande is an Emeritus professor, Malcom Keating is an assistant professor, Aleksandar Uskokov a Lecturer, Georges Pinault is a professor. I'm a librarian on a fixed-term contract. How is the power relationship in this discussion again? I'm hammering on this point because of a very simple reason: nobody in this list had the courage to reply to my first email, in which I wrote a comment about the right-winged, misogynistic and nationalistic Hindu propaganda spewed on this very list. Why is that? Why did I get a lot of instant replies to my last email, but none to the former? I do have an idea, but at this point I'm truly scared at the prospect of expressing any kind of opinion on this list.

If we want to talk about power, I'm all for it, but then we should go for the full ride. I'm totally for it.

Best wishes,

Camillo