[INDOLOGY] Sexism and Bias on INDOLOGY governing committee

Camillo Formigatti camillo.formigatti at bodleian.ox.ac.uk
Tue Apr 2 17:19:40 UTC 2019

Dear colleagues (how nice is that this word in English is seemingly gender neutral),

Once again I’m amazed at the messages in this list. I believe that we all agree about the fact the equal opportunities for women and minorities are very rare indeed across the world and it is rather obvious to me that our small Indological garden cannot and in fact is not different. What amazes me is that sometimes the whole list seems to be in denial about the fact that Indologists are human beings too and hence biased. We might want to discuss whether equal opportunities for women are something desirable or not at all, because it might be the case that they aren’t and we haven’t realized it yet. I’m all for this type of discussion, but please do not tell me that women are treated like men in the world and on this mailing list, because it’s simply not true.

In my opinion, the misogyny in this mailing list is so evident that it doesn’t need to be discussed, it is there as a fact. Also, it doesn’t surprise me at all that it is present even in the committee. On the contrary, this explains why nobody ever takes action when ridiculous messages about the wonderful equal opportunities that women enjoyed in pre-modern India and still enjoy nowadays are shared on the list. Let me be clear, I really hate political correctness, but precisely because of this, I can’t remain silent. Every time that somebody on this list puts forward the argument that the list is here not to discuss issues of contemporary Indian society, it’s not to silence somebody who has just posted a ridiculous message about equal opportunities in ancient India. On the contrary, it is to stop a discussion about the terrible situation of women in ancient or contemporary India. Now, the argument “this is a scholarly forum to discuss scholarly matters” would be really fine with me if these type of messages would be silenced both ways, but what currently happens on the list is that misogynistic messages are tolerated, while feminist messages are chastised as inappropriate to the forum. This is plain and simple hypocrisy and we should acknowledge it. Then we might be able to start a forum that deals only with scholarly topics.

Or maybe not even after this, since on the list the same type of behaviour occurs also when ridiculous messages of virulent right-winged Hindu nationalist propaganda are posted. Hands up all of you who didn’t roll their eyes at some of these messages, but then when a colleague tried to point them out for what they are, i.e. Hindu propaganda, felt compelled to write to him off-list saying “please stop it, we know it’s propaganda, but let it go and it will steam off”. Well, these messages continue to be sent on the list, they did not stem off. Again, this is all well with me and I truly enjoy this type of internet trolling (yes, this is what some threads on this list become very quickly) and alas, I’ve contributed to this trolling myself occasionally. What I hope though is that we all realise that not only we are scholars, but above all human beings with all our faults. If the committee thinks that this list can become a true forum to discuss only scholarly matters without even the slightest hint of political bias, it should start banning those of us who have a clear political position and bring it to the list. I therefore urge the committee to ban me from the list, as the starting action to enforce this policy.

Sorry, I thought that if we open one can of worms, we can open a second one too, just for fun.

Best wishes,

Camillo

________________________________

Dr Camillo A. Formigatti