Re: [INDOLOGY] Mahātipiṭaka Cūl̥ābhaya

Rupert Gethin Rupert.Gethin at bristol.ac.uk
Sun Sep 30 07:59:53 UTC 2018

O. von Hinüber, A Hanbomok of Pāli Literature (1996), p. 86 (§ 180) referring to Jaini’s edition, comments: “The Milindaṭīkā … or Madhuratthappakāsinī … by Mahāpiṭaka Cūḷābhayattthera has probably been composed in AD 1474 perhaps in Chiang Mai.”

I don’t have Jaini’s edition immediately to hand, but the concluding verses of the BJT edition available via GRETIL do indeed contain an aspiration to becoming a buddha. I copy and paste from that electronic edition:

Puññenanena vipulena bhavābhavesu
Puññābhivūḍḍha parisuddhaguṇādhivāso
Hutvā narādhikataro (vata) sabbaseṭṭho.
Buddho bhaveyyamahamuttamanāthanātho.

NB I see that on GRETIL the file milind2u.htm is listed as if it is vol 2 of Milindapañha, it is in fact Madhurathappakāsinī:

http://gretil.sub.uni-goettingen.de/gretil/2_pali/2_parcan/milind2u.htm

An aspiration to buddhahood is found in the concluding verses of the works of other Lan Na authors, for example, at the end of Ñānakitti’s Atthasālinī-atthayojana.

Best wishes,

Rupert
--
Rupert Gethin