[INDOLOGY] Devanagari for Marathi

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Sat Sep 15 13:36:14 UTC 2018

Dear Harry,

Marathi does not use any letters like ज़ with an underdot.  In Marathi, the
written letters च, छ, ज, झ have two pronunciations each, one set of
pronunciations matching the Sanskrit palatal sounds, while the other set
matching the dotted letters used in Hindi.  While the native speakers have
no problem with this, the non-native speakers often find it difficult to
figure out which pronunciation is intended in a given word.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus
Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan