[INDOLOGY] India in Greece by Edward Pococke (19th century)

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 04:51:12 UTC 2018

Regarding the first paragraph of Dr Elst's post, there's an elegant and
profound book on this subject by Thomas Trautmann, Aryans and British India
<https://www.worldcat.org/title/aryans-and-british-india/oclc/652492240&referer=brief_results>(1997).
There's more to this topic than is suggested by Dr Elst's brief post,
including the general early nineteenth-century belief in Mosaic time, and
the sea-change in thought that followed the discoveries of Lyell on geology
and Darwin on evolution that placed human history forever in a new
chronological framework, dispelling older quests for an Edenic age in 4000
BC.

Best,
Dominik Wujastyk

--
Professor Dominik Wujastyk <http://ualberta.academia.edu/DominikWujastyk>
,

Singhmar Chair in Classical Indian Society and Polity
,

Department of History and Classics <http://historyandclassics.ualberta.ca/>
,
University of Alberta, Canada