[INDOLOGY] Fw: goṣṭhī

Christoph Emmrich christoph.emmrich at utoronto.ca
Sat Sep 8 18:33:24 UTC 2018

Dear Matthew,

Good to read you posts: they are always a pleasure, - and a reminder for me to say hello. To get the detail out of the way: the Newar spelling of guthi is indeed dental‎, as Newar (not counting Sanskrit words) does not have retroflexes and the the word has been "newarized."

How have you been doing? It has been so long. Srilata, Emilia, and I just returned from our regular Pondicherry summer with a month-long stint in Lalitpur,‎ to plunge into our respective terms without too much of an adjustment period. Not much time to rest, as Emilia did an intensive course in Upper Sorabian (my mother's family's language) in Bautzen in August and asked me to join her.

Will you be in Chicago for the workshop in honour of Steve in November? I will be joining and if I am lucky, - fingers crossed, - I will see you there.

Warmly, as ever,
Christoph

----

Christoph Emmrich

Associate Professor, Buddhist Studies

Director, Centre for South Asian Studies

at the Asian Institute, Munk School of Global Affairs and Public Policy

Chair, Numata Program UofT/McMaster

University of Toronto

http://www.religion.utoronto.ca/people/faculty/christoph-emmrich/

Department for the Study of Religion

University of Toronto

Jackman Humanities Building, R.203

170 St. George Street

Toronto, Ontario M5R 2M8, Canada

+416.978.6463 (o), +416.978.1610 (f)

http://religion.utoronto.ca/people/faculty/christoph-emmrich/

Centre for South Asian Studies (CSAS)

Asian Institute, Munk School of Global Affairs and Public Policy

North Building, R.106

1 Devonshire Place

Toronto, ON M5S 3K7, Canada

Tel.: (416) 978-6463<file:///accounts/1000/pimdata/_startup_data/messages/1510685830/34/22/msg-b9ntld>

http://munkschool.utoronto.ca/csas/about/<file:///accounts/1000/pimdata/_startup_data/messages/1510685830/34/22/msg-b9ntld>

Private: 18 Claxton Boulevard

Toronto, ON M6C 1L8, Canada

+1-416-317-2662<file:///accounts/1000/pimdata/_startup_data/messages/1510685830/34/22/msg-b9ntld> (c)

christoph.emmrich at utoronto.ca<https://webmail.utoronto.ca/imp/message.php?index=6723#%23>

‎

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Rogers network.