[INDOLOGY] Sanskrit can tackle climate change

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 07:01:00 UTC 2018

May I make a plea, please?
I think all discussions of Sanskrit and Indology-related topics are
appropriate and welcome here.
I think discussions of world leaders (or non-leaders) when the topic does
not bear on Indology or Sanskrit (Tamil etc) are not appropriate here, no
matter how passionate you may be about that. There are plenty of other fora
for that.
Thank you keeping this a "safe space" for Indology (the scare-quoted
expression was meant as a little joke...)

Jonathan

On Sat, Sep 8, 2018 at 5:59 AM, Nagaraj Paturi via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> For some, Sanskrit , not some specific portions of its literature, is
> toxic.
>
> For some, Sanskrit,  not some specific portions of its literature is
> amrita, ambrosia, nectar ,  a panacea.
>
> Prof. David Shulman said, " Even in Sanskrit, it’s a misconception, I
> think, that Sanskrit is built around this notion of tremendous power and
> inequality. There’s an aspect of that, but I certainly wouldn’t think of
> that as its major feature. Sanskrit’s a language, like any language.
> Everything is in it. All of human life is in it! "
>
> in
>
> https://nikhiletc.wordpress.com/2017/07/01/music-culture-his
> tory-a-conversation-with-david-shulman/

> With regards to environmentalist understanding in Sanskrit, you have in
> Gita:
>
> एवं प्रवर्तितं चक्रं नानुवर्तयतीह यः ।
>
> अघायुरिन्द्रियारामो मोघं पार्थ स जीवति ॥ ३-१६॥
> Those who do not follow/live as per the ecological cycle, such sensualists
> are paapajeevis and they live a vain life (experiencing the harmful
> consequences of not following the eco-cycle)
>
> ----------------------
>
> सहयज्ञाः प्रजाः सृष्ट्वा पुरोवाच प्रजापतिः ।
>
> अनेन प्रसविष्यध्वमेष वोऽस्त्विष्टकामधुक् ॥ ३-१०॥
>

> देवान्भावयतानेन ते देवा भावयन्तु वः ।
>
> परस्परं भावयन्तः श्रेयः परमवाप्स्यथ ॥ ३-११॥
>

> इष्टान्भोगान्हि वो देवा दास्यन्ते यज्ञभाविताः ।
>
> तैर्दत्तानप्रदायैभ्यो यो भुङ्क्ते स्तेन एव सः ॥ ३-१२॥
>

> Creator , in the beginning created human beings along with the
> (eco-friendly/nature nourishing/)sacrificial rituals and said through these
> rituals get what you want;  these fulfil whatever you want
>
> Through these nourish and nurture the devas (nature forces) and they
> nourish and nurture you back. Thus 'treating' each other both you humans
> and the nature forces , may you achieve the best of the welfare
>
> Luxuries and pleasures that you want/like are provided by the devas
> (nature forces) who get treated by your  eco-friendly/nature
> nourishing/sacrificial organised actions; thus enjoy all the luxuries
> provided by them.

> The Mann Ki Bath report by the news portal highlights one aspect of many
> praises of Modi for Sanskrit. That praise has a context. Sanskrit week
> celebration. A girl calls him from Bengaluru and speaks in Sanskrit.
>
> Modi recently said that Tamil is the most ancient Indian language and
> received bashing from those who believe that Sanskrit of the Vedas, not
> Tamil , is the most ancient language of India.
>
> -------------
>
> That article on coal has in fact some statements criticising Modi taking
> the side of renewable energy sources.
>
> Modi appears in that article in
>
> India has plans for alternative means of generating electricity. Even
> before the Paris summit, Narendra Modi, the prime minister, aimed to
> install 175 gigawatts (GW) of renewable-energy capacity by 2022, a vast
> increase from today. That has now risen to 227GW.
> and

> [...]

J. Silk
Leiden University
Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, LIAS
Matthias de Vrieshof 3, Room 0.05b
2311 BZ Leiden
The Netherlands

copies of my publications may be found at
https://leidenuniv.academia.edu/JASilk