[INDOLOGY] IIGRS 10 at SOAS programme

Lidia Wojtczak lw24 at soas.ac.uk
Tue Sep 4 12:09:39 UTC 2018

Dear Colleagues,
since the attachment with the IIGRS 10 programme did not reach everyone,
please find it pasted in the email below.
You can download the PDF from our website:
https://iigrs.wordpress.com/programme/

Best wishes,
Avni Chag
Karen O'Brien-Kop
Lidia Wojtczak

* International Indology Graduate Research Symposium 10*

* SOAS University of London*

SOAS South Asia Institute

SOAS School of Languages, Cultures and Linguistics

SOAS School of History, Religions and Philosophies

SOAS Doctoral School

Brough Sanskrit Awards

*Programme 2018*

*Friday, September 28th*

*9:15 Welcome*

*Session 1 *Chair: AVNI CHAG

9:30        TILAK PAREKH – University of Cambridge

“aham brahmā’smi” - Ātmabuddhi with the Brahmasvarūpa Guru

10:00     HERSHINI SONEJI – King’s College London

Distinct Yet Dependent: The Interplay Between the Mind and Ātman in
Svāminārāyaṇa Hindu Philosophy

10:30     PUJA-ARTI PATEL – Shree Somnath Sanskrit University

Original Argument, Distinct Philosophy: The Interpretation of ‘[sa] dahara
uttarebhyaḥ’ in the Vedānta Commentaries of Rāmānuja, Śrīkaṇṭha, and
Bhadreśadāsa

11:00     *tea*

11:30     KUSH DEPALA – University of Heidelberg

Ancient Form, Modern Interpretation: Reading a 21st Century Vādagrantha

*Session 2* Chair: KAREN O’BRIEN-KOP

12:00     KEIKI NAKAYAMA – Kyoto University

The Criticism of Theism in the Śrāvakabhūmi of the Yogācārabhūmi

12:30     GAO MINGYUAN – The Buddha-Dharma Centre of Hong Kong

Vasubandhu and the Doctrine of Perfuming (vāsanā) in Yogācārabhūmi

13:00     *lunch*

*Session 3 *Chairs: KAREN O’BRIEN-KOP & LIDIA WOJTCZAK

14:30     ANAÏS DORNIER-VIAVANT – University of Paris 3 Sorbonne Nouvelle

Dream in Buddhism: The Dispute Between the Vijñānavāda and the Madhyamaka
Schools

15:00     SZILVIA SZANYI – University of Oxford

Cognitive Obstacles in the Way of Liberation in Vasubandhu’s Triṃśikā and
Sthiramati’s Triṃśikāvijñaptibhāṣya

15:30     PÉTER SZÁLER – Eötvös Loránd University

The Pre-Śaiva Mahākāla Of Ujjayinī

16:00     *tea*

16:30     DR JAMES MALLINSON

*Keynote Lecture* – Cultural Flows in the History of Yoga

18:30    * dinner*

*Saturday, September 29th*

*Session 3 *Chair: YŪTO KAWAMURA

9:00        ALFRED YE – University of Oxford

Uddyotakara’s Criticism of Sāṃkhya on Causality: With a Reflection on
Early Nyāya Theism

9:30        NIVEDITA CHATURVEDI – University of Delhi

A Critical Analysis of Mīmāṃsā-sūtra 1.1.4, with reference to ‘Vṛttikāra’,
Kumārila-bhaṭṭa and Pārthasārathimiśra

10:00     SÁNDOR PAJOR – Eötvös Loránd University

The Nyāyasūtra Against the Pāśupata Concept of God. An Old interpretation
with New Proof

10:30    * tea*

*Session 4 *Chair: GRAHAM BURNS

11:00     VALTERS NEGRIBS – University of Oxford

>From Equanimity to Yogic Meditation: The Dharmasūtras, the Mahābhārata, and
the Pātañjalayogaśāstra

11:30     ARINDE JONKER – Leiden University

The Death of a Yogi. The Relation between Yoga and Death in Early Śaivism

12:00     SAMANI UNNATA PRAGYA – SOAS

Semantics of the Polysemous term Samudghāta in Jaina and Buddhist literature

12:30    * lunch*

*Session 5* Chair: MADDALENA ITALIA

14:00     TARA HEUZÉ – University of Oxford

‘What should I, ill-fated, do?’: Madness and Culpability in the
Naiṣadhānanda

14:30     IRIS IRAN FARKHONDEH – University of Paris 3 Sorbonne Nouvelle

Sanskrit Satire and its Humour: Kṣemendra’s Samaya-mātṛkā Within Sanskrit
Literature

15:00     SUHAS MAHESH – University of Oxford

Sītā Strikes Back: A Citrakāvya from the Wodeyar Court

15:30     *tea*

*Session 6 *Chair: YAEL SHIRI

16:00     HYOEUN CHO – University of Bristol

What Are the Fundamental Defilements of the Mind: The Systematisation of
the List of Mental Defilements (kleśa/kilesa) in Pāli Buddhist Texts

16:30     BRYAN DE NOTARIIS – University of Turin

>From the Canon to the Comment: A Development of the Concept of “iddhi”
within the Pāli Buddhist Literature

17:00     HÉLÈNE DE BRUX – Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität

The Dhūma Episode of the Avadānaśataka: The Case of an Actorless Miracle in
Buddhism

*group photo, closing remarks*