[INDOLOGY] Question about manuscript ownership

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 23:30:01 UTC 2018

Antonio nails it, I think (except we're talking about copyright, not
intellectual property rights).  Assuming there aren't any special
contractual agreements, the copyright of the photocopies belong to the
person who made the photocopies.  It would be the same with photos.  They
belong to the photographer, even if the original manuscript doesn't.

Jonathan raises some interesting special cases, but I am certain your
colleague can go ahead and use copies of the photocopies in a publication
without any risk of prosecution.

Best,
Dominik