[INDOLOGY] opinion piece from Le Monde on Open Access publishing

Arlo Griffiths arlogriffiths at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 15 15:28:44 UTC 2018

Dear colleagues,

A few days ago, Le Monde carried an interesting opinion piece on the issue of "Open Access" publishing in scholarly journals, in reaction to the European policies unfolded here <https://www.scienceeurope.org/coalition-s/>.

Science Europe – cOAlition S<https://www.scienceeurope.org/coalition-s/>
www.scienceeurope.org
cOAlition S. What is cOALition S? On 4 September 2018, a group national research funding organisation, with the support of the European Commission and the European Research Council (ERC), announced the launch of cOAlition S, an initiative to make full and immediate Open Access to research publications a reality.

Poignantly, Le Monde's business model does not involve free accessibility of all content. This opinion piece, for instance, is accessible only to subscribers. I am one, so I have printed the article to pdf and am attaching it hereto, for those of you are interested and can read French.

Best wishes,

Arlo Griffiths

EFEO, Paris