[INDOLOGY] makhi and tubaki

Suresh Kolichala suresh.kolichala at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 17:46:15 UTC 2018

On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 12:54 PM Madhav Deshpande <mmdesh at umich.edu> wrote:

> I wonder if Telugu tupāki is related to the Marathi word तोफ "cannon."
> The family of one of my ancestors was in charge of cannons in Gwalior and
> earned the family name जिनसीवाले, where, I am told, the word Jinsi refers
> to cannon-balls.

Yes. I believe they are all related. In Telugu *tōp(h)-ḵẖāna* is still used
to refer a storehouse of guns. But  *tōph *used only for canons.  There is
another persian word  *tupak *to refer to a musket. I believe Telugu/Tamil
tupāki came from the Persian word. Another word *tamanca* is also used in
Telugu for pistols, which also has a corresponding word in Persian.

تفنگ *tufang,* A musket
 تپك tupak, A musket
تمنچه tamancha, A pistol.
(From Steingass, Francis Joseph. *A Comprehensive Persian-English
dictionary)*

I am not sure, but I think some of these words have a Turkish origin. Other
knowledgeable people on this list perhaps can explain.

Regards,
Suresh.