[INDOLOGY] makhi and tubaki

Suresh Kolichala suresh.kolichala at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 15:04:42 UTC 2018

In Telugu, there are still many people with the family name of tupāki
or tupākula
(genitive of plural tupāki). It is possible that someone in their family
was in-charge of pistols (at least they claim their ancestors were
in-charge of pistols). Furthermore, ceñji kriṣṇappa nāyakkar (செஞ்சி
கிருஷ்ணப்ப நாயக்கர்) is referred in some Telugu texts are tupākula rāyaḍu.

makha is sacrifice, and makhi is referred to the sacrifier, and it is
definitely a title given to brahmins conducting sacrifices.

Regards,
Suresh.
Atlanta, GA.