[INDOLOGY] The Buddha's body in a vat of oil

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 09:36:44 UTC 2018

However.... there is for example an expression in a Gandhari
Mahaparinirvana fragment (SC 2179/44a recto): ayaṁsa droni telena, which
pretty much seems to imply (fill) an iron barrel with oil.
This and some other passages are discussed in my Body Language booklet.

Jonathan

On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 9:08 AM Tieken, H.J.H. via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Dear Dominik,
>
> Does what applies to Skt *droṇam* (ntr) also apply to Pāli *doṇī *(fem.)?
> I have to add that I find it hard to believe that the body was indeed
> immersed in a bathtub full of oil.
>
> Herman
>
> Herman Tieken
> Stationsweg 58
> 2515 BP Den Haag
> The Netherlands
> 00 31 (0)70 2208127
> website: hermantieken.com

J. Silk
Leiden University
Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, LIAS
Matthias de Vrieshof 3, Room 0.05b
2311 BZ Leiden
The Netherlands

copies of my publications may be found at
https://leidenuniv.academia.edu/JASilk