[INDOLOGY] The Buddha's body in a vat of oil

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 18:14:35 UTC 2018

"teli-dona" in Sanskrit would be "taila-droṇam".  This expression occurs
twice in the *Carakasaṃhitā*.  In both cases it should be understood not in
the sense of "a barrel of oil," but rather "ten litres of oil."  A *droṇa*
is a unit of measure (see *Roots of Ayurveda* "Śarṅgadhara on weights
measures and definitions."  A droṇa is not exactly ten litres, but roughly
so.

When the *Carakasaṃhitā* gives its longevity instructions at Ca.ci.4.7, the
patient is to be put in a barrel and the word is *droṇa*: s*nehabhāvitāyām
ārdrapalāśadroṇyāṃ sapidhānāyāṃ digvāsāḥ śayīta* "he should lie naked in a
palāśa-wood barrel that has been steeped with oil, covered with a lid."  (
*Roots*, "Rejuvenation through Soma" in the Suśruta chapter).

My conclusion is that although there are oiled barrels in classical
Ayurveda, a teli-dona isn't a barrel of oil, but rather an amount of oil.

Best,
Dominik

--
Professor Dominik Wujastyk <http://ualberta.academia.edu/DominikWujastyk>
,

Singhmar Chair in Classical Indian Society and Polity
,

Department of History and Classics <http://historyandclassics.ualberta.ca/>
,
University of Alberta, Canada